Cabergoline 0.5 mg :- CADORLIN™
- Product: Cabergoline
- Formulary: Generic Formulary
- Category: Central Nervous System
- Sub Group: Rigidity & Tremor Controllers
- International Brand Name: Dostinex,Cabaser
- Dosages: 0,25 MG/0.50mg
- Unit of Packing: Tablets
- In treatment of: Adjunctive in Parkinsion Disease
CADORLIN ™ ( Cabergoline)is used to stop breast milk production (lactation) soon after childbirth, stillbirth, abortion or miscarriage. It can also be used if you do not want to continue to breastfeed your baby once you have started.
CADORLIN ™ ( Cabergoline)can also be used to treat other conditions caused by hormonal disturbance which can result in high levels of prolactin being produced. This includes high levels of prolactin caused by tumours of the pituitary gland in both men and women.
This medicine contains cabergoline and belongs to a class of medicines called ‘dopamine agonists’. Dopamine is produced naturally in the body and helps to transmit messages to the brain.
Cabergoline mimics the action of dopamine to reduce the production of prolactin in the blood. Prolactin is the hormone which stimulates the breast to produce milk.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Tell your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms aftertaking this medicine. These symptoms can be severe:
Abnormal or unusual thoughts.
Heart valve and related disorders e.g. inflammation (pericarditis) or leaking of fluid inthe pericardium (pericardial effusion). This is a very common side effect (may affectmore than 1 in 10 people). The early symptoms may be one or more of the following: difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, pounding heart, feeling faint, chest pain,back pain, pelvic pain or swollen legs. These may be the first signs of a conditioncalled pulmonary fibrosis, which can affect the lungs, heart/heart valves or lowerback.
Development of a widespread itchy rash, difficulty breathing with or withoutwheezing, feeling faint, unexplained swelling of the body or tongue or any othersymptoms which appear to come on rapidly after taking this medication and makeyou feel unwell. These may be indicative of an allergic reaction.
You may experience the following side effects:
- Inability to resist the impulse, drive or temptation to perform an action that could beharmful to you or others, which may include:
- Strong impulse to gambel excessively despite serious personal or familyconsequences.
- Aggression and altered or increased sexual interest and behaviour ofsignificant concern to you or to others, for example, an increased sexualdrive.
- Uncontrollable excessive shopping or spending.
- Binge eating (eating large amounts of food in a short time period) or compulsive eating (eating more food than normal and more than is needed to satisfy your hunger).
Tell your doctor if you experience any of these behaviours; they will discuss ways ofmanaging or reducing the symptoms.
During treatment you may also notice the following effects:
- Very common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people) drowsiness, nausea, headache, dizziness, vertigo, stomach pain, indigestion, inflamed stomach lining, fatigue, lack of bodily strength, weakness.
- Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people) constipation, blurred vision, low blood pressure after childbirth which may not have any symptoms, breast pain, depression, sleep disturbances, excessive daytime drowsiness/sleepiness, vomiting, low blood pressure, hot flushes.
- Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people) loss of hair, severe itching, shortness of breath, fainting, nosebleed, leg cramps, swelling due to accumulation of fluid in the tissues (oedema), rash, irregular or strong heartbeat (palpitations), pins and needles sensation, decrease in haemoglobin in women whose periods had stopped and then restarted, temporary partial vision loss.
- Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1000 people) allergic skin reactions, muscle weakness, cold hands and feet.
- Not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data) abnormal liver and abnormal blood tests of liver function, breathing problems with inadequate intake of oxygen, an increase in the level of some enzymes in the blood, abnormal vision, episodes of sudden sleep onset, seeing or hearing things that are not really there (hallucinations),delusions, psychotic disorder.